At first I thought I was just imagining that things were only getting more expensive. Turns out, I was wrong. As the economy recovers, things like food, clothing, and housing are only escalating in price. While economic recovery is good, price increases are bad, (especially when wages aren't growing to meet these price increases.) It's bad because it means there's less of a paycheck to save, and we have to get more creative when it comes to thinking of ways to save more money.
Writing about personal finance for the last six years means I have a repository full of ways to save money. To save you time, I've rounded them up below. It's possible to find ways to save more money, and some aren't even that lame.
Compiled from our extensive archives here are 83 (still relevant and useful) ways to find a little extra cash.
- Actually open a separate savings account. We like to recommend CIT Bank thanks to it's higher-than-average interest rate (25x the national average) and no-fee structure.
- Reboot your finances with our FREE course, the “7 Day Money Sprint.”
- 11 Ways to Save Money in 20 Minutes
- Try the envelope budgeting method.
- Automate your savings with this simple tweak (duh.)
- Do a no spend challenge or “spending freeze” on your own time.
- Try a no-spend first date.
- The first 5 things to go when trimming your budget.
- Want to save up quickly? Here are five survey sites where you can start stashing cash away ASAP.
- 4 ways to save money on student loans.
- 11 money-saving apps you need to have on your phone.
- Save more by earning more. Here are the 10 best side hustles for busy people (so, pretty much everyone.)
- If you have debt, save money on interest by transferring credit card balances to a 0% APR card.
- Want to save? Stop spending. Here are 25 ways to stop overspending if you like to indulge.
- Save $1000 using only automated savings apps. Here's how I did it.
- Stop eating out and cook at home.
- Adopt a new money belief this year.
- Figure out if you're an “under buyer” or “over buyer.” Adjust accordingly.
- Join a focus group to earn extra cash. (Here's how one reader makes $500 with focus groups.)
- Try earning money with these 9 apps.
- Find money in your budget and save smarter with the spreadsheets and tools in the Financial Best Life Starter Set.