I just made $111 dollars for 3 hours of work. I was fed a sandwich, a cookie, and even given coffee to perk me up. What was I doing? I was participating in a mock jury. I can’t tell you what we talked about, but what I can say is that it was engaging, stimulating, and fun. What was I doing? Making extra money on Craiglist by participating in a mock jury. I can’t tell you what we talked about, but what I can say is that it was engaging, stimulating, and fun. After several months of finding side hustles via Craigslist, I’ve definitely made money and discovered a couple of things so here's my own guide on how to find side jobs on craigslist.
Craigslist isn't just for selling your stuff or meeting randos.
I’m on the journey to repay my debt. Sadly, I’ve discovered that cutting my expenses wasn’t going to generate enough money to pay off my debt at the pace that I’ve set for myself. And I don't want to consider debt consolidation or refinancing. I needed to make extra money and I needed to make extra money as quickly as possible. I would prefer to make extra money using the internet only, sadly it will take awhile to really build up the contacts that I need to start generating money via online sources only like with an online side hustle. Because of this, I decided to turn to another avenue for finding jobs: Craigslist.
How to Find Side Jobs on Craigslist
There's a Lot of Junk Out There
- Comfortable cleaning someone’s house with your top off? Then there are a ton of jobs for you.
- If you would like to donate your eggs and happen to meet the recipient’s criteria then there is a lot of money to be made (especially if you’re blonde!)
- Like kids? You can be a low paid nanny or mother’s helper! People are looking!
- Do you like to drive? Then you can drive people to their final destination in exchange for 420. For those of you who don’t know what that is: it’s ganja, the demon weed, or pot. Hey, I live in Colorado.
- Do you enjoy giving massages? People are always asking for them!
……For some reason, I felt that the jobs listed above wouldn’t work for me…..
Keep digging – there are a few legit jobs on the site that can offer you ways to make cash
- If you live in a mid-sized to large town/city-you should be looking at Craigslist daily for side hustles.
- Be clear about what you won’t do.
- Be aware that there are sketchy, scary, shady [email protected]@ people out there. Really vet the jobs that you’re going after. Tell the poster of the ad that people know where you are. Leave all contact details with a loved one.
- If you feel sketched out TRUST YOUR GUT FEELING!
- Be clear about how you’re going to be paid. For the Mock Jury I was given a check and I’m pretty sure that it will clear. For another side hustle, I was paid via PayPal. I have also been paid cash (I prefer this!)
Here's what I found…
- Mock Jury-just did one today!
- Surveys-am currently doing one now.
- Lawn Watering-I did that for two weeks.
- Cleaning houses.
- Helping Run Events-There are a ton of festivals, parties, etc. in Denver/Boulder. They are always looking for help running booths, set-up and clean up.
- Scavenger Hunt-I had to do a run through of a scavenger hunt and check that the clues were clear, if things had been moved around, and note any confusing information. I had tons of fun doing it!
Other side jobs on Craigslist You May Be Interested in (That aren't Sketchy….)
- Office projects-I would like to do short term office projects. I work in an office so I don’t want a long-term project.
- Wrapping my car with an ad-only if I believed in the product. I don’t have a car…but, if I did!
- Event Promotions-but, not the grocery store promotions. Hungry people are annoying so I prefer handing out samples. I love it when I get them.
- Golf Event Ambassador-I LOVE golfing. I’m serious. I really enjoy it! I don’t have car right now so I can’t do this one.
Learning how to find side jobs on Craigslist doesn't have to be super scary. If you need extra money and aren’t using Craigslist I encourage you to consider giving it a try.
Editor's Note: This post was originally published on August 7th, 2013. It has been updated in 2018.
Like this? Share on Pinterest.