As many of you know, I bought a house in 2013, which at times feels like a lifetime ago. Plus, I did it at age 26, when it felt like NO ONE my age was buying homes. Now that I'm in my 30's, it feels like my friends, and millennials, in general, are aging into the market a little bit more. Still, with recent interest rate hikes and a lot of political and market uncertainty, many may feel overwhelmed and confused on where to begin when they begin to consider buying a home in 2017.
Resources to Start With When Buying a Home in 2017
Affording the House Itself
- Low salary? No problem. Here's how I bought my first home making less than $40k a year.
- A great post on how to save up for your first home on a five year, two year, and one year timeline. Awesome tips by yours truly!
- 5 steps to fully prep your finances for homeownership.
- How to get your credit into the best shape possible.
- Tips for buying a home without going broke (particularly in you are in your 20s!)
- Don't borrow money from Mom and Dad for your first home purchase (here's why!)
Making Sure the Home is Right for You
- 10 things to do before you buy the home.
- The 7 most important things to look for while doing a home inspection!
- Be aware of the compromises you'll have to make to become a millennial homeowner.
- Speaking of millennial homeownership – read the full book on the topic here. (A quick and easy read that holds your hand through the entire process from one buyer's perspective!)
More Tips on Buying a Home in 2017
- How to Shop for Home Insurance on Your First Home – Super important to know how to do this crucial step of the buying process!
- Additional buying tips from a real Redfin real estate agent!
- Considering a real estate investment or just renting out your house? Read this.
- 7 expenses for your new home that can blow your budget.
- Here's a great podcast on what they won't tell you about millennial homeownership.
What are some other ways you're preparing for homeownership in 2017?