It's launch day! I can't believe it's finally here. My first full length e-book, The Millennial Homeowner, is now out and available to the public today!
Three years ago I bought a house.. Here's the TL:DR on that story.
- I was 26 and making $40k annually at the time.
- I leveraged down payment assistance to get into the home for just $1800.
- I bought well within my budget, but purchased an older home that needed a complete remodel.
- I used a 203k renovation loan to get this done and still ended up nearly $8,000 in debt after the project was over.
- As you can see, I had a lot of “big wins” and “big fails” when it came to buying my first home.
Even to this day, I get a lot of homeownership questions from readers who come to this site in search of advice for navigating their own first time home buying experience.
And now, I'm happy to say, I've written a book about it.
Why a book about first time home buying?
I've been heavily investing into my affiliate and online product strategy this year, but the idea for this book has actually been hanging out in my noodle (and dropbox) since 2014. I actually wrote a proposal for this book and pitched agents for it way back in the day. Although I didn't get a literary agent until late last year (based on the proposal for another book I wanted to write)…I didn't want to abandon this idea.
At the time I was shopping the homeownership book, this one by the founders of Zillow had just come out, and frankly, it didn't do as well as the industry had thought it would.
‘Millennials don't buy homes or books,” I had one publisher tell me. “This one won't sell.”
And while millennials may desire a more easygoing lifestyle than generations past, and favor blogs and magazines over traditional reads, that doesn't change the fact that many millennials do want to buy homes. I know this because your clicks and my Google Analytics tells me so. This book is for those millennials.
I know (because I get asked) that millennials struggle with navigating the ins and outs of such an expensive purchase.
Mostly, they'll do what I did – bury their heads and just do the bare minimum to get through to closing.
And this is okay, the world won't fall down…. but it will cost you money. And as I said, this is (often) the most expensive purchase of someone's LIFETIME. Now is not the time to put your brain on auto-pilot and quit asking questions.
I put this book together because we all know that home buying isn't difficult; people do it every day. But it is stressful and overwhelming because we're simply not educated on what is really happening when we make this purchase. I want to change that level of education so everyone knows exactly what they're getting when they reach this exciting financial milestone.
Here's what the book will teach you.
The Millennial Homeowner
I built it to walk readers step-by-step through every part of the first time home buying experience: from assessing whether or not you should buy, to prepping your finances, to actually shopping for the home itself, terms you need to know while you're under contract/at closing and then moving into/renovating the home.
Here's the chapter break down.
- Are you ready to Buy?
- How to Financially Prepare for Homeownership
- Getting Started with Your Home Search
- What to do When You Are Under Contract
- The Many Surprises of Being a Homeowner
- If you want to renovate….
And here's a few images/sneak peeks of what is inside the book!
Want a free sample chapter of The Millennial Homeowner? Click Here.
The Millennial Homeowner Companion Workbook
I'm not going to lie, I've been haunted by what that publisher said to me all those years ago.
I'm never one to give up on something I'm passionate about, so if anything, this project was an exercise in my own tenacity. While I know this information to be vitally necessary and important to millennial consumers today, I also know how some of the components can be a bit dry and uninteresting.
What would make this fun? I thought to myself.
My answer to everything– build out a colorful workbook that makes it super easy to stay organized. So, that's what I added to this text too.
Each chapter comes with a set of companion worksheets that amplify what the chapter is teaching and allow you to truly absorb what is happening during each part of the home buying process. Best of all, they're designed to help you brainstorm and ideate crucial parts of what you want in a home, so you can go in with clarity – knowing exactly what you want.
Here's what comes in the workbook.
- Over 30 pages of additional resources, checklists, and planning tools.
- Debt Payment Tracker and Utility Audit Worksheets to help set your budget.
- A document checklist to organize all the necessary home buying paperwork.
- A dream home wish list to help you narrow down your favorite homes.
- Example questionnaires for finding a Real Estate Agent and Contractor that you love.
- A home inspection checklist to help you find and understand any needed repairs before you buy.
- A closing checklist to help you prepare everything you need for closing day.
- A moving day budgeting worksheet
- Monthly, quarterly, and annual repair checklists to help keep your home in great condition once you’ve moved in.
- Budgeting templates for both the home purchase and any renovations.
- Plus a “Putting it All Together” checklist to guide you through the complete home buying process. (This is now my new home buying checklist freebie that offer via my free resources page. Click here to snag yours!)
And now some snazzy images!
Loving that blue and yellow color scheme. Not going to lie, I think I'm most excited about how the workbook turned out. It was just a baby idea in the back of my brain and now it's actually out in the world all colorful and beautiful and fun. Amazing.
What the Millennial Homeowner is All About
It's about feeling educated and empowered. Looking back on my own experience of buying my first home, I definitely didn't feel either of those things and it ended up costing me a lot of money. I don't want that to happen to you.
I'm not going to lie, I busted my butt on this project to try and create something that covered ALL of the bases of home buying, and I think I've done just that. It's comprehensive, but most of all, it's educational and fun.
This book is perfect if you're…..
- Interested in learning what the COMPLETE home buying process is like.
- Planning on buying your first home in the near future (even if it's 12-18 months from now, now is the perfect time to start prepping your FINANCES for this big purchase.)
- Afraid you can’t buy a home because of other debts.
- In search of advice and guidance from a real-life millennial homeowner who has been through the process before.
- Looking to learn how you can save more money to afford your first home.
Here's how to buy…
- Click here to head to my Gumroad store where you can get a PDF of the book + the companion workbook.
- If you prefer to read on your Kindle, this book is now on Amazon. (Just the e-book though, you still have to buy workbook in online store. But the good news is that it is printable!)
- Once you pay, you'll receive instant access to your downloads.
I hope to see you over in the online store today! If you're still on the fence, don't forget to click here to get the free sample chapter.
A Few Final Thank Yous
If this were a traditionally published book, I'd get to thank people in the ‘acknowledgments' section. But since I'm a blogger and digital entrepreneur, I'll have to do it via a blog post (where else? ha!)
A HUGE thank you to:
- My design partner, Colleen, who always does such amazing work and somehow knows how to take my scribbled notes and turn them into something wonderful.
- Torie, for all her help on the edits and launch day prep.
- David Davidson and Kathy Berardi for reading early iterations of this book and providing feedback.
- To Mo, for all his wonderful ideas, support, and for always encouraging to ‘live my best life.'
Happy Launch Day! Like this? Share on Pinterest, pretty please!